Thursday, September 06, 2007

Booking Through Thursday: Goldilocks

From Booking Through Thursday:

Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.

So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?

Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?

Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?


Great question! I can and do read almost everywhere, though I find it difficult to do so when there's a live conversation going on next to me (e.g., in a waiting room). When you have children, you have to seize your reading opportunities while you can!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose I do sometimes find conversations distracting from my reading, but usually only if I'm not entirely knee-deep in my book anyway. Otherwise, five free seconds and I'm lost in the pages of whatever it is I'm currently reading!

Stephanie said...

You are right!! With kids in the picture, you make do with the time you have!! Can't ask for anything more than that!

Happy Thursday!

Julia said...

Having someone sitting next to me and want to have coversation with me is distraction. Those are one of the moment when I can't seem to read. And beside motions in the car, I can pretty much read anywhere.

Happy BTT!

Gabriele Campbell said...

I can read everywhere except in moving cars. Trains is ok, and I love to read in pubs - keeps obnoxious men away. :)

Dapoppins said...

Interesting...never thought of that. I read in bed, or if it is a good book, I read every chance i get until it is finished. I also enjoy candy while I read. Which, if you do not know, leads to bad cavities.

Kathryn Warner said...

I'm the same as Julia and Gabriele - I can read anywhere except in a moving car. I do most of my reading on the tram, on the way to and from work.